Tuesday, March 8, 2011

30 Day Blog: Day 7

Prompt: Your zodiac sign and if you think it fits your personality.

First of all, I do not believe in the Zodiac, but I will admit that it's fun reading up on my sign and analyzing it against what my personality is.

My Zodiac sign is Aquarius (Jan. 20th - February 19th) since my birthday is February 13th.

Here is the little summary/list that astrology-online.com had concerning Aquarius:

Traditional Aquarian Traits

Friendly and humanitarian
Honest and loyal
Original and inventive
Independent and intellectual

On the dark side....
 
Intractable and contrary
Perverse and unpredictable
Unemotional and detached




On the whole, I think that my sign fits my personality pretty well. I am a very intellectual, in-my-head type person and I love learning new things. I was an over-achiever in school and have always tried to do everything as thoroughly as I could.

The website divides Aquarians into two types: extroverted, assertive types and shy, gentle types. I fit into the shy, gentle category, usually being known as the most quiet girl in the room, but one who's always listening and taking everything in. Both types are described as being "unprejudiced and tolerant" as well as "strongly imaginative", which I think fits me well. I am good at listening to both sides of an argument and being able to see where both opinions are coming from. I am usually good at moderating these arguments and coming up with a solution that helps both sides. I am an imaginative person, as well (I have to be, being an actor) and am constantly thinking up stories or ideas in my mind, which usually come out through my music or writing.

Aquarians (according to the website) are also supposed to tend towards needing their alone time, often retreating away from the rest of the world to be alone for a while, thinking or meditating. This fits as well, as I am a little bit of a loner. I need at least a little alone time every day, otherwise I get a bit tense and frazzled. The downside to this trait, however, seems to be that others can mistake Aquarians for being cold or unemotional, since the people who have the sign are quite intellectual and good at detaching themselves from everyone else.

This has been a problem for me, especially as an actor. I tend to over think a lot of things, especially when it comes to acting. One of the notes that I received quite often in acting class in college would be that I was too much in my head and I wasn't letting myself connect emotionally to the role I was playing. I am trying to get better at letting myself go and not thinking about it so much, and I think I'm improving (slowly but surely). I do have a bit of a thing when it comes to revealing my emotions. I don't like people to see me get super emotional (people who don't know me extremely well, that is). I don't like crying in front of people, even if I'm very upset, so I tend to hold back the tears until I'm alone (which is probably part of the reason I find it so hard to make myself cry onstage). I tend not to let people know when I'm angry either, though I think this may be more because when I do get angry most people tend to not take me seriously or call it "cute".

The website also said that Aquarians work well in group settings, to which I disagree. I hate working in groups (I consider casts of shows different, that's more like a family). Usually when I'm put in groups I end up doing all of the work, but everyone else gets credit for it even if no one else contributes. I get very upset when people don't do their share and I feel like I work best when I work alone. I can organize things however they work best for me and can work at my own pace. I'm also not extremely great at being a leader, since I'm not naturally an assertive person.

Aquarians are apparently very gifted in the arts, often being skilled writers, actors and musicians. This I wholeheartedly agree with, seeing as I am an actor, writer and musician. Many aspects of the arts are actually very intellectual, which is why I feel so at home as a performer. It's a way of linking my intellectual nature to my emotions and creating something that will affect others.

Fun fact: Aquarius' planet is supposed to be Uranus (go ahead and make the joke, my mind already went there), but in all seriousness, that was my favorite planet when I was learning about the solar system in elementary school. I think I liked it the best because it was a cool color and because it was the only planet that was on its side, with the rings circling around it vertically. It was unique, and I liked that.

Like I said, I don't believe in astrology, but, having analyzed it for this post, I feel like my sign is a pretty good fit to my own personality: Intellectual, quiet yet observant, peaceful and a lover of the arts.



Aquarius out.

No comments:

Post a Comment