Friday, March 18, 2011

30 Day Blog: Day 16

Prompt: Your views on mainstream music.

Out of the loop...

I will come right out and admit it: I don't really listen to mainstream music. Probably because most mainstream music is pop or hip hop and those are two styles of music I don't particularly care for.   I think the first time I heard "Single Ladies" was in Jazz class at school because we were dancing to it and I don't know if I've actually listened to GaGa's "Poker Face" all the way through (I'v heard other people sing it though). There is a version of "Single Ladies" I like: A jazzy piano version by Sara Bareilles.

Have to admit: This moment on Glee was awesome.

This Tap version was also very impressive (and is danced to the Sara Bareilles version. Woo!)

I'm pretty much always listening to my iPod or to Pandora (which is full of stations with Showtunes, Jazz and acapella music). When I'm driving I love to sing along (which I realize could be a bad thing considering I'm a singer/voice actor and I tend to blow my voice on particularly long car rides alone). Plus, my new fancy car can sync with my iPod through Bluetooth so I don't have to worry about plugging it in or trying to find an empty station to line it up with.

Recently I have started listening to music that's a little more mainstream, but only very certain artists (Sara Bareilles mostly) because I have a single coming out soon that is of a similar style. But even then I usually just listen to my Sara Bareilles Pandora station, so I don't know if that counts as progress.

It's always pretty awkward when I'm hanging out with people other than my roommate because everyone usually talks about music and will say things like "you know [insert song name] by [whoever is well known at the time]? Isn't it great?!" and then I have to quietly admit that I have no idea who they're talking about.

"The thing about youth culture is, I don't understand it."

But I'm content with my own style and musical tastes. Give me some Sinatra or Sondheim any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment