Sunday, March 13, 2011

30 Blog: Day 11

Prompt: Put your iPod on shuffle and write 10 songs that pop up.

I am a very musically inclined person. I am constantly listening to music: when I'm driving, when I'm washing dishes, when I take out the trash, I can't imagine not having music in my life. I'm that person that walks down the street, earbuds in, and change the way I walk/view everything around me depending on what music I'm listening to. If I don't have my iPod on me I usually have at least one song stuck in my head that I'll sing quietly under my breath. I'm a little obsessed.



I think I'm going to follow my roommate's lead on this and post the first 40 songs that pop up on my iPod. I will warn you, I have a few random things on my iPod that may appear on this list. Most of my iPod is filled with showtunes, standards, and Jazz, with some wild cards thrown in.

You have been warned.

1. Ready To Go (Alternative Version) - Me And My Dick - Darren Criss.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say: I liked Darren Criss way before he was on Glee. That is all.

2. Any Moment/Moments In The Woods - Into The Woods - Stephen Sondheim

This is one of my favorite songs/moments from "Into The Woods". It's so clever and catchy. One of the reasons The Baker's Wife is a dream role of mine is because she gets to sing "Moments in the Woods".

3. My Freeze Ray - Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

This song is so cute! When I used to do my laundry in a laundromat I would always get this song stuck in my head.

4. Slip of a Girl - Jane Eyre: The Musical

While I have to say that parts of this musical are a little "bleh" I do quite like this little song. It's fun, quirky, and, at the end, quite touching. 

5. Jane And Mr. Bingley
 
  This is a nice little instrumental that we used for one of the dancing scenes in a production of Pride and Prejudice where I played Mary. I think this may have been the song I actually got to dance a little in, I don't remember. 

6. Hello - The Drowsy Chaperone

This is the opening little narration to a fun show called "The Drowsy Chaperone". I absolutely love the Man In Chair. He so simply and touchingly encompasses the type of person who is thrilled by musicals and allows his imagination to take him away into whatever story the music is telling.

7. Things Beyond The Earth - Jane Eyre: The Musical

This is one of the songs that I was unimpressed with in this show, though it does have some cool melodies. 

8. Walking Music

This is a fun little original instrumental piece composed for a production of Taming of the Shew that I was in. The show was set in the 20's, so it's a lot of trumpet and trombone. 

9. Your Hand In Mine - Lindsay Zana

Yes, this is an original song that I wrote and yes, it's on my iPod. This is one of my earlier songs, about a character from Doctor Who. I like it a lot, it's a little more upbeat than a lot of my songs (I like ballads a little too much) and it's fun to play.

10. Real Emotion (FFX-2 Mix) - Final Fantasy X-2

This is one of my wild cards. It's a song from the video game Final Fantasy X-2. While I have to say that the game wasn't extremely great, I did like the music in the game, especially this opening song. It makes me want to sword fight. 

11. Horrible Theme - Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

It's a very march-like theme, with drums and piano. While it's really short, it sets up the feeling of the project well. 

12. Drunter Druber - Der Glockner Von Notre Dame

 I have a big love of German musicals, and this is one of my favorites. It's a German musical of the Disney movie "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", though the ending is more faithful to the book than the movie. This song ("Topsy Turvy" in English) is just as fun as in the movie, with some extra bits thrown in. Quasimodo has a very quick little reprise of "Out There" near the beginning and Esmeralda's dance is a little longer, with more strings and a slower tempo. 

13. When Lilly Came - Darling - Ryan Scott Oliver

Ryan Scott Oliver, as you know from this blog, is one of my favorite musical theatre composers. This is from a project called "Darling", which is a modern, dark retelling of Peter Pan. In this song, Ursula Morgan (the Wendy character) is caught in a seedy night club with Peter. She tells an elaborate lie about being kidnapped and forced to dance for a woman named Lilly.

14. A Girl In The Valley - The Secret Garden

This musical is simply beautiful. This song is a pretty waltz that Archibald Craven sings (along with the ghostly figure of his dead wife, Lilly) telling of their first meeting and love. 

15. Helena Montana   - Hank Green

This is a song by Hank Green, of the VlogBrothers (on YouTube) about the town of Helena Montana. He sings songs about random things sometimes. 

16. Ah Miss - Sweeney Todd - Stephen Sondheim   

The first time Anthony sees Joanna at her window (right after Green Finch and Linnet Bird). Every time I hear any song Anthony sings, I think of Andy from The Office. 

17. Hello Seattle - Owl City

While I like Owl City, this is one of my least favorite songs. This is one of those songs that seems to just have random lyrics thrown in that make no sense together. It's weird. 

18. Titus Andronicus Theme  - Malus

This is an original piece that I wrote for a One Act that Kaitlin and I directed while at OCU. This was used in the movement portion of the show, depicting the rape of Lavinia, orchestrated by Tamora and Aaron, from Titus Andronicus. 


19. I Was Here - The Glorious Ones

This song made me cry the first time I heard it. It's so true about actors and performers in general. 

20. Lament For Moria - The Lord of the Rings: The Musical

I love most of the music in this show, but this song seems a bit too slow for my taste, especially where it occurs in the show.

21. Das Licht Des Himmels - Der Glockner Von Notre Dame

This is probably my favorite song in both the English and German version of this story. "Heaven's Light", in English. It's so simple, yet it says so much about Quasimodo's growing love for Esmeralda, plus it's very pretty in German.

22. I Feel Pretty (Piano instrumental) - West Side Story

This is an instrumental track I used when I was taking voice lessons in Oklahoma. We actually never got around to singing this song, which was fine with me. This is one of my least favorite songs in West Side Story and one of the reasons that part of me would rather play Anita than Maria. 

23. Romeo & Juliet (original piano) - Malus

This is the original piano recording of the Romeo & Juliet theme that we wrote for Malus. This is by far my favorite piece that was written for the show and I hope to expand it in the future. 

24. Lullaby - The Mitch Hansen Band

Okay, I'm a tiny bit ashamed that this song is on here. I will admit, I read the Twilight series when it first came out and this is a song that was written about Edward Cullen (by a band of guys, surprisingly). But it's a good song and I like the guitar and harmonies throughout. 

25. Zero To Hero - Hercules

I love this song! I think Hercules should be the next Disney show on Broadway, it would be so fun!

26. White Christmas - Frank Sinatra

Ah, Frank, making Christmas songs even better. 

27. Kiss Me Now - Lila McCann 

Back in the day I used to be really into Country music. Lila McCann was one of my favorites and I still listen to this song sometimes when I'm in the mood for a mushy, romantic song. 

28. Whispering  - Spring Awakening

I love how haunting and still this song is. It gives me chills. 

29. Songbird - Love Actually Soundtrack

All of the music from Love Actually fits perfectly with the story and emotions of the movie. This is one of my favorite moments and this version of the song is very intimate and lovely. 

30. The Cat And The Moon - The Lord of the Rings: The Musical

This was one of my absolute favorite moments in the show! The song is so much fun, with an Irish jig type feel, full of strings and really fun lyrics. I want to be in this show just to dance in this song. 

31.  Love Theme - Elizabeth (soundtrack)

My movement teacher at OCU wrote and directed a movement show and this piece of music was a recurring theme throughout the story. It's so beautiful and heartbreaking. 

32. Finishing The Hat - Sunday In The Park With George - Stephen Sondheim

Sondheim is a genius, particularly with this song. This song is a perfect exploration of the life of an artist, not just a painter, like George, but all artists. It thrills me and breaks my heart all at once. 

33.  The Awakening 

This is a wonderfully haunting choral piece that we got to sing every so often in Chamber Choir in high school. It's about someone who dreamed of a world with no music. The end of the song is the narrator waking up and rejoicing in the "glorious gift of a song". I loved singing it. 
 
34. Funny Honey - Chicago

I love this song. I especially like the way that it was performed in the movie, with Roxie's fantasy clashing and changing with the real world as her husband discovers she's a liar. 

35.  Favorite Things - Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

I love when songs or ballads that I love are taken and recorded as a rock and roll cover. This is one of my favorite songs from Sounds of Music and sounds really cool with electric guitars and drums. 

36. Haben Sie Gehort Deutache Band? - The Producers

This song is so much fun. I love Franz Liebkind.

37. The Missing Piece (concert duet version) - Razia's Shadow - Thomas Dutton

Thomas Dutton and Forgive Durden wrote a really cool contemporary rock musical called Razia's Shadow, about a world split between light and dark. This is a version of the song The Missing Piece that Thomas Dutton performed at a contemporary musical theatre concert. It's a different arrangement than the one in the show, and is performed between Ahrima and Princess Anhura.

38. Still Alive - Jonathan Coulton

This is the brilliant song "Still Alive" from the video game "Portal". The song is sung by the villain of the game, a computer named GLaDOS, while the ending credits roll. 

39. Mama, Waar Ben Je? 

This is from another German musical (probably the most famous one) called Elisabeth. The show is about the life and death of Elisabeth, Empress of Austria, told by the character Der Todd (death). This song is sung by Elisabeth's young son, who feels neglected and forgotten by his mother. Not my favorite song in the show, but the child singing it sounds adorable. 

40. Father's Day - Children of Eden

This is one of my favorite musicals, telling the story of Adam and Eve in Eden in Act I and Noah and the Flood in Act II. This is sung by Father, shortly after creating Adam and Eve, reveling in the idea of what it means to be a father to your children.

  There you have it! Just a taste of the random, foreign, and sometimes surprising songs that can be found on my iPod!

No comments:

Post a Comment