Tuesday, March 29, 2011

30 Day Blog: Day 27

Prompt: A problem that you have had.

Perfect...

I think too much. Especially when it come to any kind of performance or even within a class setting. I'm a very intellectual person (if you hadn't already guessed) and I tend to live in my head a lot. This can be good, in the proper setting, but when it comes to acting or performing, it can be very bad.

In college I would constantly get notes in my acting classes about needing to stop thinking about things, stop analyzing what's going on and simply allow myself to act. I've gotten better at being able to recognize when it's happening, but I still have trouble turning my brain off and letting myself go.

I focus too much on trying to get everything just right, matching the form exactly or following the steps perfectly. I'm pretty sure that if I were a ballet dancer, I'd probably turn into Natalie Portman in Black Swan.

Maybe with a little less crazy


For some reason I feel that when I'm doing Voice Over, I'm able to stop thinking so much and just have fun. Maybe it's because with Voice Acting there's nothing else on display, just the voice. I don't have to worry about what my face is doing or what to do with my hands, I can just focus on my voice and let the character come out that way. It's weird, but good!

I've made a few strides towards being more comfortable with just letting myself go but I know that I still have work to do. It's a challenge, but it's one I'm ready to take on!

No comments:

Post a Comment