Monday, March 21, 2011

30 Day Blog: Day 19

Prompt: Disrespecting your parents

I'll just cruise around the neighborhood, well maybe I shouldn't...NAH, 'course I should!

I love my parents. They are so amazing and always amaze me with their unconditional love not only for each other and their family, but for the community they are a part of and the world around them.

Now, this isn't to say that we don't fight. Sometimes we get into huge fights, like everyone, but fighting is different than disrespect.

Yes, we may disagree, but I feel that is extremely important to respect your parents. It is because of them that you are alive, and because of them (in large part) that you are who you are. They have lived longer than you, experienced more about the world and have made (and learned) from their own mistakes.

Personally I have always looked up to my parents, even in the times when we disagreed.

My mother is one of the most amazing people in the entire world. She is so strong and not afraid to fight for the things that she believes in. At the same time, she has a huge heart and boundless love for those around her. Her childhood was full of challenges that I can't begin to imagine, and she drew from those experiences and became the strong, wise, wonderful woman she is today. A lot of the time, especially when we fight, she will end up being right, and I think that sometimes she knows me better than I know myself. A while ago I posted the story about my mom finding me at the Guatemalan Orphanage, and I feel so extremely in awe that this woman, out of everyone in the world, was chosen to be my mother. I love her so very very much and respect her more than she knows.

Mine

My father has always been my number one fan. From the day they brought me home he has loved me so much and has done everything in his power to support me as I journey through life. When I was little, I remember constantly playing with dad (we made up games like "Flying Magic Eagle Feather" and the less imaginative "Tackle"). Whenever I think of my love of Disney I think of my dad, because he would always be there, watching them with me, singing along. As I grew older, dad continued to support me, offering me advice, looking out for me, and taking great pride in anything that I accomplished. He still cries every time I leave home to come back to CA. He is so incredibly smart and knowledgeable about the world and does his best to help me understand and learn from what he knows. Even when we argue, I know that he's fighting me because he loves me and he wants me to succeed, even if his views are different than mine. He respects those around him, treats people fairly and is truly passionate about what he believes in, and for that I have limitless respect for my daddy.

Love you daddy

Respecting my parents is another way of loving them. They have taught and given my brother and I so much throughout our lives, without our asking for it, and are continually supporting us every day. They show great respect for everyone they come into contact with and taught me that each person we meet has value. It is from them that I learned how much a simple "thank you", "please", and "You're welcome" can mean to someone. They have shown me the true power of kindness, respect, and love and there will never be enough words to thank them for that gift.

They are the people I want to grow up to be, and if I ever have children I hope that one day they will respect and love me as much as I do my parents.

Without them I would be lost. In more ways than one.


No comments:

Post a Comment